Saturday, February 4, 2012

Dutch What?!

That's usually the reaction I get...

Dutch BABIES... That's what!

Since I discovered this lovely (and delicious... and easy) alternative to pancakes about a year ago, I make them quite often. This morning, I decided it was time to finally blog about our new favorite breakfast food!



If you don't know what a dutch baby is, don't worry... there are no babies used in the recipe, they don't taste like babies and they don't look like babies. They've also been called German pancakes and have been compared to Yorkshire pudding. You can whip one up in a matter of minutes with just a few ingredients that almost everyone has on hand at all times. They are eggier than pancakes (almost like a crepe batter) and they puff up beautifully (they will shrink back down once removed from the oven.)


Surprisingly, I came to find out that (according to Sunset magazine) Dutch Babies were introduced in the first half of the 1900s at a cafe in Seattle! The owners daughter apparently came up with the moniker "Dutch Babies" and the Manca Cafe trademarked the name in 1942 (although, they closed in 1950.) I'm a little shocked that more people in the region don't know what they are now!

Dutch Babies are traditionally served with powdered sugar and lemon juice and that's how I do it in this house. However, there are many recipes out there that incorporate other ingredients, like apples on the bottom. I keep telling myself that someday I'll give that one a try, but it's hard to break from the tried and true sometimes!

I promise, this is one of the most easy, straight forward and hard to screw up recipes you'll ever make. Traditionally, Dutch Babies are made in cast iron skillets that you stick in the oven, but since I don't have one of those yet (I know, shame on me,) I just use a glass pie plate... and it's worked out perfectly fine for me. You must give these a try!



DUTCH BABIES

2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of salt
2 tbsp butter
lemon juice
confectioner's (powdered) sugar



*you can really experiment with these babies... I've added vanilla extract and cinnamon, which add a nice depth of flavor. Add your favorite spices and fruits... don't be scared! ;)

1. Place pie plate (or skillet) in the oven and preheat to 475 degrees.
2. Whisk eggs until light. Whisk in milk. Gradually whisk in dry ingredients.




3. When oven is preheated, remove the plate or skillet and melt the butter in it. Reduce the oven temperature to 425 degrees. Pour the batter into the plate and return it to the oven.








4. Bake for 8-12 minutes, until puffed up and golden brown.
5. Remove from oven, sprinkle with powdered sugar and lemon juice. Enjoy!








2 comments: